Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hearing it from the Horses Mouth

Have you ever found that, even though you may know something, it still means more coming from an expert source?  Yet again, this was true yesterday.  Juliet had her 15 month Well Baby visit and my husband and I have been a little concerned that she wasn't eating enough.  Sure, technically we know that she doesn't need to consume the same amount she used to, but she eats so little sometimes that we thought we'd better ask to be sure.

Sure enough, the doctor confirmed what I already believed, quality matters more than quantity.  As anyone who has a toddler knows mealtime can become quite a struggle (battle is more like it at times).  Quality... okay, that's do-able.  Quantity... I won't worry so much.
---------


As a side note, I also wonder why the nurses always look puzzled when I tell them we don't give our daughter juice.  Before she turned 1, most of her nutrition came from breastmilk or formula.  No need for juice there.  Sippy training came in the form of water in her "big girl cup" and it seems to have worked out well.  Besides, the pamphlet they send you home with specifically sites that "juice is not necessary for a healthy diet."  I didn't really see a point anyway since she gets her fruit servings from actual fruit and juice is just a sugar catalyst.
---------

We're lucky enough to have found a pediatrician that believes in being judicious and cautious about the treatments he pursues.  He seems to take a more natural approach to things and that's just fine with me.  Knowing his philosophy on medicine makes his opinion mean even more when I need to hear things from the horses mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment