Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

My First Midwife's Visit

Today I had my first midwife's visit.  Not for anything as excited as a new baby on the way, just the standard well women's exam.  So what did I think?

I don't know what I was expecting but these were my thoughts:

•The midwife, Ivy was tired.  Poor thing.  I've been there and didn't have a problem with it.
•She seemed disgusted that I was forced to have an episiotomy (even though I said I'd rather tear.)
•She questioned the shoulder dystocia diagnosis... thought it more likely a result of being limited in being able to move during labor (since my daughter was only 6lbs, 6oz.)
•Seemed to "get" why I chose to transfer my care to a midwife after my OB disregarded my wishes.
•I had hoped for a full tour of their birth center, but I can't complain since I technically didn't ask and was not there for pre-natal care.
•I was asked if I'd like to see my cervix (my previous 2 OB/GYN's had never offered such a thing.)

Overall, I liked my experience.  It wasn't a glitzy or glamorous as I'd made it out to be in my mind (I'm a little silly, I guess.)
I liked to holistic approach she seemed to take.  Also, it was the most painless exam I've ever had... and having a history of abnormal paps, so I've had a lot!

After jumping through hoops to have my insurance provider cover my visit, I'm glad I went through the leg work.  I would recommend midwifery care to any woman looking to be respected and treated as an equal her care and health.

I'm a little sad that I have to wait a whole year to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment