Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Placenta Prejudice

How can you bring a conversation to a grinding halt?  Mention placentas, people have an unnatural fear of them.

The placenta is the unsung hero of pregnancy, a wonder and miracle of nature.  It is, quite literally along with the umbilical cord, the lifeline between mother and baby.  It's function reflects, quite accurately, its appearance; a tree of life.  With beautiful branches reaching out from its trunk.  I've always viewed it as a beautiful gift that deserves to be honored and appreciated.



Every time I bring up the subject people get squeamish and act like I'm broaching the world's most unsavory subject.  It would seem that talking about the placenta is the pinnacle of what people don't want to hear about the labor and delivery experience.  (Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little... but not much.)  My plan of action to change this is much like my approach to breastfeeding, if I do it/talk about it enough people will become desensitized to it.

-------

I had wanted to honor my daughter's placenta in some special way when she was born, but due to the previously blogged about distress we encountered, I'm sure it was simply whisked away without so much as thought from the hospital staff. 

After losing my chance to keep my placenta, though I hadn't decided what I was going to do with it, I set out to find a ways to ensure I wouldn't miss out next time.  I hope to have a partial lotus birth and maybe have it encapsulated... though I'm not entirely sure I can have it both ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment