Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Trying to be More Eco-Friendly: My Brief Game Plan

     I've been thinking of ways to more environmentally friendly and live up to the manta reduce, reuse, recycle.

     My husband I are already avid recyclers and buy the most eco-friendly products we can.  Still, I feel like we can do more.

Here's a short list of practices I hope to incorporate into our daily lives:

  • Stop using paper plates and plastic ware (this may mean bringing our own reusable stuff with us when we go somewhere people plan to use disposables)
  • Switch from paper towels to dish rags/cloth napkins (I really love paper towels so this will be a biggie!)
  • Install a clothesline and take advantage of the Florida sunshine (rainy season aside)
     I hope that, whenever we have another baby, we'll be able to use cloth diapers.  I feel SO guilty every time we empty the diaper pail and I see all of those diapers containing chemicals, plastic and poo. I just don't think I could talk Mike into switching our daughter over now.  I have, however, thought about buying her 1 cloth diaper and some pre-folds to use on the day I have her and he's at work.  It may not be much, but it's something!

     TMI Alert:  On a much more personal note, I've been looking into reusable feminine care items.  I recently purchased a cloth pantyliner to try out and bought a Diva Cup (reusable menstrual cup).  I am optimistic and hope they work out well.  My only fear about the Diva Cup is that I'll have problems because of my IUD.  I think if I'm really careful, I should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment